Re: Copper pipe leaching
Posted by Gary Slusser on December 19, 2002 at 10:16:59:
In response to Re: Copper pipe leaching
: I built a new garage w/bath 3-years ago using 1/2 copper pipe. Have noticed a blue turquoise stain on lav and shower. Learned this fall it was due to low PH of our spring water. It was tested at 6.0 PH. The iron level is zero. Have learned that raising the PH level can be done by installing a canister w/limestone.

: Questions: Is this explanation correct? Is the solution the best? Are there others? What is the best product on the market to solve this problem?

: What is so curious is that our old house does not have the staining. 90% of the galvized lines were replaced in the 70's. We are experiencing reduced water flow due to the corrosion. Why no staining on our white cast iron kit sink and bathroom lav?

: Thank for input and help.

An automatic backwashed or upflow sacrificial acid neutralizer filter (cannister with limestone?), a solution feeder with soda ash solution, or disposable polyphosphate cartridge filter is about all the choices, at least those I can think of. Sacrificial mineral filters add hardness to the water and come in two types and can be mixed bed versions dictated by the pH and how far it has to be raised based on the volume of water used; or gpm requirements. Solution feeders require a retention tank to provide enough time for the reaction to occur. Cartridges require constant and sometimes frequent replacement.

Water treatment dealers deal with this problem as some plumbers and well drillers do. Momma always said if you can�t say anything nice... so I won�t mention big box retailers.

Your water quality may have become acidic recently (low pH) or more likely it simply is the new copper has no hardness scale built up on it to protect it from the water; which may never happen anyway. Or it could be caused by excessive soldering flux. High DO and/or CO2 content, electrical grounds, or bad grounding or bacteria.

Whatever the cause you need to stop the deteriortion of your tubing before you end up with pinhole leaks. Hopefully you�ve had a copper test done and are not ingesting water with too much copper in it, that is not a good thing healthwise.

Replies to this post
There are none.