Re: Replacing 47" shower with 60" shower/tub
Posted by Larry on November 25, 2002 at 10:16:29:
In response to Re: Replacing 47" shower with 60" shower/tub
Ed,

Thanks for the information you provided. Quick question to you or anyone else out there. I did some demolition this weekend and now have the old shower out and am ready for the new tub/shower combo.

As mentioned....I have a 60" wide room. My door width is apx. 29 1/2" wide with the moldings on there. My question is...will a 2 piece surround unit fit in this area or do I need to go with a 3 pc. unit? I would like a 2 pc. unit if possible?

Thanks

: : I currently have a 47" shower in my master bath that I would like to replace with a new 60" shower/tub unit. The width of the room is 60" total. There is currently an offset of 13" in the room for the existing shower unit.

: : My plan is to remove the existing unit....knock out the 13" offset and then install the new 60" unit.

: Installing a new 60 inch shower unit would definetly be a big improvement to your bathroom.
: Since you already have an existing shower unit, this would be a project you could accomplish yourself.

: Once you remove the partition, you may only have to extend the trap and drain about a foot or so, and install a new balancing type faucet.

: You will probably need to buy a 2 or 3 piece unit unless you wish to dismantle your house trying to get a 1 piece of this size into the room.

: If you had a pro do this - expect to pay about 2,000 in labor costs. Ed

: : Everyone is telling me I am getting in over my head by wanting to attempt this myself. I don't see removing the old shower as a major deal, but I don't know alot about plumbing and wonder whether I should be attempting to install the new unit. Also....will it be an issue getting a new tub/surround unit into the room??

: : If I had to pay for someone to install the new tub/shower, what approximately would that cost be?

: : ANY information or advice would be appreciated!

: : Thanks, Larry

Replies to this post
There are none.