Re: Will adding a filter help?
Posted by Valab on October 27, 2002 at 18:42:10:
In response to Re: Will adding a filter help?
ok, thanks anyway

: : Hi,

: : Background: I use well water that is treated with a standard water softener. I have a family of 4 and the water soften gets recharged every other night; I go through about 40 lbs of salt a week. The water pressure various between 40 and 60 psi (depending upon whether the well pump is pumping) which is fine for my household needs.

: : Problem: From time-to-time the water quality delivered to the tap is not the best. I have a minor problem with rust and I think that the rust is of the dissolved type rather than actual rust particles. Also, there is the occasional sulfide smell.

: : I've checked into expanding the water softening system to include a large carbon filter and possibly a green sand other similar 'anti-rust' device. These additions are really expensive though, somewhere in the $800 range for the carbon filter alone.

: : My question is, would putting one of the relatively inexpensive home-depot type inline filters help with our water quality? If so, would it be best to add the filter(s) inline before or after the water softener? Also, would adding such a filter(s) decrease water pressure to the tap?

: : thanks for your help!

: The odor probably is caused by bacteria. Carbon is not to be used on water of unknown microbiological content. So test the water for Coliform bacteria, check the softener drain line connection for a cross connection potential and sanitize the softener first. Some will suggest shocking the well if bacteria is found. Before you do that gather all the information on potential problems shocking can cause.

: My advice as to any treatment is that you need to identify the odor and its cause, then select suitable equipment. You also need a raw water test to determine your iron, hardness, manganese, pH, sulfates, chlorides and TDS content. Then have the softener set up for the raw water quality and clean the resin or depending on the age replace it. If you can�t clean it you will have to replace it. The salt use is dependent on the salt dose and a number of other things.

: You really should call a water treatment dealer to accomplish all this because in my opinion it is not a DIY�re thing.

Replies to this post
There are none.