Re: Low water pressure problem, Size matters!
Posted by Terry Love on October 24, 2002 at 20:42:13:
In response to Re: Low water pressure problem, Size matters!

: I recently moved into an old home (built in the 1890s)and have found that I can't have more than one water-related thing on at one time because the water pressure wanes to almost a trickle. This includes everything - shower, sinks, washer, flushing the toilet, and spicket/hose outside. This has become increasingly annoying, mostly because I'd just like to know what the problem is. Before I moved in, the previous owner told me that it was due to an old main water pipe to the house; my inspector told me it was probably due to non-copper pipes in the walls. Unfortunately, I know nothing about plumbing and in my quest to get educated before I call anyone, I stumbled across this site. I'm hoping I can get some good suggestions on what to look into next.
: Not sure if this info helps but- With just one thing on, the water pressure is fine. In my basement, I can see the pipes going to my downstairs bath, kitchen, and washer. They are all copper. My water bill says my meter tap is 3/4 (at least I'm guessing that's what the 3/4 refers to). My neighbor says her pressure is great - she can shower and run the washer at the same time, no problem. Someone in my office suggested installing a water pressure pump. Anyone have any suggestions?

Erin,
If the neighber has good water pressure, I would think you should too, if only the water lines were in good shape. A 3/4" meter works fine for most homes. From the 3/4" meter, most people run a 1" pipe. There is less "friction-loss" with larger pipes.
It's nice that you have some copper pipes in the home. If the line from the meter has closed down in size because of corrosion, they won't be much help though.
A water system that is sized right, with new pipes would do wonders I would guess. It may be time for that old home to enter the next century with grace.
Terry

Replies to this post
There are none.