Low water pressure problem
Posted by Erin on October 24, 2002 at 15:01:30:
I recently moved into an old home (built in the 1890s)and have found that I can't have more than one water-related thing on at one time because the water pressure wanes to almost a trickle. This includes everything - shower, sinks, washer, flushing the toilet, and spicket/hose outside. This has become increasingly annoying, mostly because I'd just like to know what the problem is. Before I moved in, the previous owner told me that it was due to an old main water pipe to the house; my inspector told me it was probably due to non-copper pipes in the walls. Unfortunately, I know nothing about plumbing and in my quest to get educated before I call anyone, I stumbled across this site. I'm hoping I can get some good suggestions on what to look into next.
Not sure if this info helps but- With just one thing on, the water pressure is fine. In my basement, I can see the pipes going to my downstairs bath, kitchen, and washer. They are all copper. My water bill says my meter tap is 3/4 (at least I'm guessing that's what the 3/4 refers to). My neighbor says her pressure is great - she can shower and run the washer at the same time, no problem. Someone in my office suggested installing a water pressure pump. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies to this post