Washing Machine Drainage Problem
Posted by Susan on October 15, 2002 at 00:43:50:
The washer in our new home was splashing a little water each time we did a load of laundry. I pulled out the installation documentation that the previous onwers left behind. The drain pipe that the washer is connected to is too small. The installation documentation specifies a 2" drain pipe. The drain pipe that the drainage hose is connected to is clearly labeled 1 1/2". I thought we should call a plumber. My husband decided duct tape would do.

Since the duct tape was applied, the washer shuts itself off during the drain cycle. My husband mentioned this to the handy-man at work and was told that the duct tape created a vacuum and that this is causing arcing.

So, I'm wondering what to do now. Do I need a plumber, an electrician, or both? (If I've had arcing, will we need some re-wiring done. )

My husband thinks we should call an electrician first. I'm inclined to call the plumber first. Though I imagine we should call both. We are not do-it-yourself types (obvious by the use of duct tape!) and we can't afford an expensive fix. We had a rather heated debate about this today. Since my husband and know very little about these matters, I'm hoping that somebody who does can offer some advice.

Replies to this post