URGENT> Steps for installing whirlpool
Posted by Ed Breyer on October 09, 2002 at 00:16:06:
I found Terry's posting about installing a whirlpool very helpful - but I still have a few questions about the installation sequence for a deck mounted whirlpool tub. The carpenter is coming to help me Wednesday afternoon:

Should I build the platform/deck structure (without installing the backer board or tile) before or after rough plumbing?

My biggest concern is that the tub rim is not supposed to bear any weight � which I think means that I�ve got to calculate the combined thickness of the tile, mortar and cement board and deduct it from the deck height before building the deck.

Unless I get different advice, here�s the sequencing I�ve planned:
1) Set tub in place and mark its footprint on the plywood floor including the drain line location.
2) Measure out and mark the desired footprint of the tub deck.
3) Determine the deck�s rough framing height by measuring the distance from the floor to the bottom edge of the tub rim and deduct the thickness of �� plywood decking, �� cement board, mortar (1/8"?) & tile (3/8").
4) Move tub out of area and build the deck framing (do not install the plywood top).
5) Rough-in the supply lines to just above the floor (within the tub deck) and the drain line to near the cut-out drain area in the floor.
6) Use the supplied template to cut the whirlpool hole through a piece of �� plywood and mount it to the tub deck framing.
7) Mount the faucet body, valves, spout base, etc through the plywood decking and connect to the water supply lines.
8) Run a GFCI protected electrical circuit to an accessible location (inside the tub deck) near where the pump will be.
9) Attach the drain/overflow assembly to the tub.
10) Put some mortar or joint compound under the tub and set it in place - squezing it to level.
11) Connect the drain line.
12) Test the tub for leaks.
13) Install cement board and tile (creating the required access panel).
14) Seal the seam under tub rim with chaulk.
15) Enjoy!

Am I missing anything or do you have some suggestions to help the job go smoothly?

Thanks in advance!
Ed

Replies to this post