"sour" smelling cistern water
Posted by scott on September 09, 2002 at 16:03:32:
I bought a house about a year ago with a 15,000 gallon cistern. After living there for several months we started to notice a sewer/swamp smell when we turned on the shower.
I figured it needed cleaned out so we drained it, cleaned out about a foot of rotten leaves and such, got it filled back up and everything seemed fine. recently however, we started getting a "sour" smell.
"sour is really the only word to descibe it, asit really doesn't smell like a swamp or sewer. I changed to piping and check valve in the cistern. The inside of the old piping smelled sour too. That hasn't
seemed to help though. New filters haven't stopped the smell either. The smell is most prevalent when the hot water is on in the shower or in the washing machine. Could I have a buildup of that sludge in my hotwater heater
or could it be another problem? The copper lines in the house don't seem to have that sludgy buildup that was in the plastic pipe in the cistern. Will I have to get a new hot water heater, or can they be cleaned out or cloroxed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies to this post