Re: Pinhole Leaks in Copper Pipes
Posted by Quality Water Associates on September 07, 2002 at 11:02:04:
In response to Re: Pinhole Leaks in Copper Pipes
: Can you help me please. After building my house 25 years ago, I have had several pin hole leaks in the domestic water copper pipes that lead to and from my boiler (my boiler heats water for the hot water heating system and for domestic hot water). These leaks have all been within 6 feet of the boiler.
:
: My water has been tested with the following readings:
:
: Hardness = 7 gpg
: Iron = 0
: PH = 7
: Manganese = 0 ppm
:
: My plumber is recommending a water softener to solve the problem of the pipe leaks. In your experience, could the hardness of the water be causing the pipes to deteriorate to the point that the leaks are occurring? My electrical system is not grounded to the plumbing system.
: Thank you for any help that you can give to me.

I'm sure a softener isn't going to stop pin hole leaks in your plumbing. There are many water quality and other causes of pin holes developing in copper tubing and they are: High DO, CO2, TDS, chlorides, acidity (low pH which it appears you don't have as long as the test was done on site), bacteria (biological activity) etc.. Also poor electrical grounding (the ground electrode) of the building's electrical system and other grounding issues (possibly at your boiler) like phone, security, TV etc. grounds to the plumbing instead of the grounding electrode and possibly a few other causes.

See if you can find someone (a water treatment dealer) in your area that is knowledgeable about the subject. You can read up on copper corrosion at:
www.corrosion-doctors.org

Replies to this post
There are none.