Re: sanitary tee
Posted by robert on August 16, 2002 at 13:17:40:
In response to Re: sanitary tee

according to table 7-1, the maximum developed length for an 1-1/4" trap arm is 2'-6"... what diameter should be used to figure the trap arm length?

: A toilet is an "S" trap and would not flush without it. If you are trying to "flush" the sink, and have a means to automatically refill the trap, which a toilet does, then an "S" trap would be okay. You aren't and you don't so "S" traps and the 3/4 S variation are illegal. The theoretical maximum trap arm is the diameter divided by 4, after that you get back to the 3/4 S configuration. The legal length is usually less than that to avoid hair splitting.

: : what if I have a substantial trap arm that is connected to the sanitary tee? I was told that the requirement had something to do with the maximum trap arm length that was allowed in the plumbing code, but I cannot find anything to back that up. why is the "S" trap illegal? isn't that the kind of trap that is in the toilet? is there a definitive reference that someone can put me onto? thanks
: : : If you connect a trap branch with a combination Y-1/8 bend, you create what is called a 3/4 "S" trap. Any "S" trap is illegal. They are different because certain applications require the sweep of the combination fitting.

: : : : why do some applications require the use of a santiary tee as opposed to a tee wye? I can see they are different but why are they different? when connecting a trap arm to the vertical, you need a sanitary tee and not a tee wye.

Replies to this post
There are none.