Re: Sewage pump not activating automatically.
Posted by More on August 14, 2002 at 00:16:23:
In response to Re: Sewage pump not activating automatically.
The Meyers pump is a good pump. If there was liquid waste in the sump, and the pump was humming, but not pumping water, it indicates that the moror is turning and the shaft, but not the impeller. That could indicate something wedged inside the motor take up orifice and the impeller. But then that would indicate a sheared pin in the keyway. If you opened the backflow valve, and waste flowed back into the sump, which then pumped out ok, that would indicate that what was caught in the impeller was backflushed, and the pin isn't sheared - but was just stuck. Pump out the sump again, however you have to, then pull out the pump and take it to a pump rebuilder.

: I have an RG-10 Meyers sewage grinder pump, which pumps sewage from a tank underneath my house to a larger pump-out tank up on the cliff.

: In the last few weeks the float switch has not been switching on the pump, even though there was sufficent sewage in the tank.

: I noticed that the pump was "humming" softly but not turning on. When i unplugged it the "humming" stopped. I plugged it in again, and the "humming" started but the pump did not activate.

: My pump has a check valve which prevents the long hose between the tanks from draining, and below the check valve is a loop with a valve to drain the line before freeze up. I opened this valve and the sewage in the line flowed back into the lower tank. I then plugged in the pump, and it started to pump the sewage until the lower tank was empty. The pump also turned itself off in the normal fashion.

: Any ideas would be appreciated.

Replies to this post
There are none.