Re: shower 3 stem replacement
Posted by Scott on June 14, 2002 at 21:45:57:
In response to Re: shower 3 stem replacement

: I have a Gerber 3 stem shower. I was attempting to remove the hot water handle. I removed the screw and could not get the handle off. I did get it off, but broke the stem inside. Now I need to replace the stem. I have tried to get a stem socket wrench inside of the eschuteon pipe in order to remove the stem so that I can replace it. The smallest stem wrench is 21/32 and 27/32. The 27/32 will not fit inside the tube around the stem. The 21/32 is too small. Someone told me that the tube which is around the stem screws out or I should be able to pull it out. I have not been able to do this. I plan to replace the whole shower in a few months and will replace everything at that point. Now I just need to replace the stem so that I can control the hot water.

: Thanks,

: Kelly

Kelly,
The only way to remove the stem is to remove the tube. The chrome tube will screw off counter clockwise. It may be a little tough because of mineral deposits on the threads, spray some WD-40 or equal oil on it to help. Sometimes you may have to destroy the tube getting it off but new tubes are available and cost a few dollars. Use the parts breakdown to see exactly what you need to take apart. If you need more help feel free to email me. Good luck

Scott

Replies to this post
There are none.