Re: 'instant hot water'
Posted by hj on April 25, 2002 at 08:57:55:
In response to Re: 'instant hot water'
Without seeing your hot water system, it is impossible to determine if it is a candidater for a convection return loop. To operate at all, much less properly, the water line must not have any up or down offsets, in other words it must either be level for its entire length, which will not give a good return system, or have a continuous upward slope to the point where you want to make the return line connection. Then the return line has to have a continuous downward slope to the water heater. If your system meets those criteria, then the connection to the water heater can be made to the cold water inlet using a check valve on the return pipe.

: want to install a return loop system in my hot water lines to allow hot water to be virtually instantaneously available to reduce the wait and the waste of water we are currently experiencing. Understand the basic hook-up, but saw a Nibco product called 'just right' that gets installed into the cold water inlet, where most info states you must go through the lowest point avbailable into the heater...being the drain valve port. I see by adding a nipple and a tee I can access the drain port, but felt I can tee into the incoming line more easily. Won't this take the 'return' water down the inlet tube and still give me the convection results I am looking for?
: Rather than the Nibco product I was going to use a brass check valve to prevent flow in the wrong direction when there is a demand for hot water.
: What do you reccommend?

Replies to this post
There are none.