Re: sump pump - help!
Posted by RJ on April 16, 2002 at 06:56:41:
In response to Re: sump pump - help!
: : : Dear Sir:

: : : we have a submersible sump pump in our basement..there are 3 incoming drains that are from under our basement floor from 3 different sides that feed into the sump pit....there is one drain pipe that is only about 5 inches from the bottom of the sump pit....and this is the pipe 95% of the water comes into the pit from....so when the water comes into the pit, it rises
: : : and then it begins to fill the drain pipe (kinda like backing up into the pipe the water is coming out)....is this ok? we are told that when enough
: : : pressure is built up (enough water in the pipe and pit) the pump will go on....but that means that the entire drain pipe has to fill and then its opening be covered with water in the pit until the float activates and turns on the sump pump. Is this going to be ok? part of me thinks the sump should drain before it backs up into this tile pipe but i don't know...should we adjust the float somehow (its a black thing that moves up and down a thin metal rod) so that it comes on at only 6 inches of water....right now it says it comes on around 9 inches and turns off at 4
: : : inches....i believe it is a Wayne CDU 800. just bought this house and not sure about this. we live in illinois and a sump is a must.
: : : thank you for your help.

: : What is the purpose of this pump? Is it for pumping ground water from beneath your basement or for pumping sewer waste? It sounded like ground water to me.

I dont see a problem with the way it is working now. Lowering the level would shorten the pump cycle (meaning less water will be pumped each time) but if it were mine I would leave it the way it is. The water backing up that lower pipe should not be a problem as far as I know.
: ******************************************

: Yes it is ground or rain water from under the house basement and all....not sewer water...
: thanks

Replies to this post
There are none.