Re: Backflow device an alternative to venting?
Posted by Ed Yelin on March 05, 2002 at 08:57:36:
In response to Re: Backflow device an alternative to venting?
: I'm putting a kitchen in my basement, and although the sink will be located right next to the main DWV stack, there's no way to hit a vent pipe anywhere. Can any sort of backflow device be used instead of venting? I would think that the trap stops gasses from entering the room, and the backflow device would stop fluids.

: Alternately, can I vent through a wall (it's a walkout basement) or use a loop vent into the same stack (I'm not sure I understand the physics of loop vents.) Thanks for this great bulletin board.

Hi there. You may use an existing DWV stack as a wet vent for your new kitchen sink, unless the stack receives discharges from a toilet or a kitchen sink located above (prohibited by code). If that is a case, the loop vent will not for the same reason. Your alternative is to use indirect drainage, meaning draining your kitchen sink into a funnel with a trap connected to a DWV stack with 1" air gap. A trap on your new kitchen sink will not be required. And just a note: a backflow device is not an alternative to venting whatsoever. Venting is required to assure proper drainage of the fixture by introducing atmospheric pressure into the system.

Replies to this post
There are none.