Re: Sewage Smell In House
Posted by mike on September 07, 2001 at 17:57:12:
In response to Re: Sewage Smell In House
: : I have a new house. When I do laundry I get a sewage smell in my house. Does any one have this problem or know what it could be coming from? Has anyone ever done a peppermint test to see if there is a leaking in the piping.........

: I've heard of the pepermint test, but what my co. does is climb up on the roof and block off any other vent stacks and drop a smoke bomb(you get them at the supply house they look like a stick of dynamite!) and another guy goes around and looks for smoke like coming from under the foot of the toilet or from a floor drain. It might be a floor drain, they have a trap under ground and they don't get much use so the water in the trap evaporates and you get a sewer gas smell in the house. Take a pan of water and pour it into the floor drain and do some laundry and see if it still stinks if it doesn't that's it.

If you do use a smoke bomb make sure you put some wire on it and hold on to the wire while doing the test because you have to pull it out after the test. It's big enough to clog the line.

Replies to this post
There are none.