Re: Broken Toilet Flange
Posted by Steve on September 07, 2001 at 17:38:14:
In response to Re: Broken Toilet Flange
: Our home which is 9 years old is on a slab and the downstairs toilet started leaking water between the base and the floor on the right side of the toilet. When the toilet was removed we discovered the flange which was very flimsy plastic was set a 1/2 inch higher off the floor on one side than the other. It was on the side where the flange was too high, that the leak had started. Also on this side the flange had cracked. So we needed to replace the flange. Also since the hole was so close to the wall, the plumber recommended a 10 inch rough in toilet. The flimsy original flange was replaced with a metal flange. And a new toilet was installed. The plumber was terrific and now everything is working fine. Here is my dilemma....the original plumbers did a negligent job in installing the original flange. They refuse to admit any negligence. Can you give me any advice on reference materials on what type of flanges to install in cement and how they should be installed?

It may be a possibility that the floor isn't level and while the original plumbers maybe should have maybe shimmed the high side unless it was really off in which case maybe they should have waited for the tile guy to level the floor, but the floor being off level when building isn't the plumber's fault, it's the tile guy's. At least that's my opinion.

Replies to this post