Pipes, Hammering, VERY LOUD, 10 seconds or more
Posted by Carolyn on August 31, 2001 at 12:20:26:
This is for my parents. They built their retirement house in about '84 and it's on a septic tank with well water and in the last 8 months or so there is this horrific, I mean HORRIFIC, sound of vibrating, HAMMERING pipes unrelated to anything anyone is doing with water. In other words, no one is even using water when it happens. In fact, it mostly happens in the middle of the night and wakes everybody up. It sounds like a locomotive coming through--the sound builds fast and stays there for up to 10 seconds or more. Dad has to flush a toilet which basically stops the sound dead in its tracks. It's in the wall of the laundry room at the back of the house, but on an inside wall, but if we are in the front of the house--20-30 feet away--the sound is so loud you cannot hear yourself talk. Yes, the water heater, the heat-pump, both bathrooms (2-story house) and most everything else is right there but the well head is far away. It may happen 10 times a day in clusters or not for weeks. Very strange. Before they tear the wall out I told them I'd search the internet. (google.com)

Replies to this post