Secondary vent on kitchen sink drain
Posted by Mike Sherman on May 17, 19100 at 16:52:24:
A previous owner remodeled the kitchen in my 55 year old house. The sink is piped with PVC drains and has a secondary vent placed about 3" after the trap. The sink has always drained slow, but worked. A couple of days ago it essentially stopped draining. I thought the drain was clogged and "cleared" with a hand cranked tool. However, I then realized that pouring just 10-12 ounces down the drain would clog it. I removed the secondary vent and water now drained, so I bought a replacement. The replacement works no better than the original. I tried removing the vent and temporarily sealing the opening in the pipe with a plastic bag and rubber band, but the water would not flow. It seems possible the replacement vent is defective and I may try another one. I also noticed that the vent is only about 3" above the pipe and the directions suggest 6" as a minimum, so I may also try to increase the height of the vent,, but there's not much room to work. Do I seem to be on the right track? Do you know a way to test this type of screw-in vent?

Thanks

Replies to this post