Re: sump pump alternatives
Posted by Catherine on May 12, 19100 at 21:13:51:
In response to Re: sump pump alternatives

: i own a raised ranch (outside of syracuse, ny)and paid a reputable company to install a "ditch-like"trough
: (french drain) around the inside foundation of the house. it leads across the floor to the sump pump.
: theydid a fine job. for 3 years there has been little or no activity for the sump pump. this year is
: different. feb. 22 the snow melted and the sump started working. (my basement is completely
: finished, by the way, with 2 bedrooms, a bath and family room. carpeting and tile) it hasn't quit yet.

: don't get me wrong. i'm glad the sump is working, but the noise is irritating and with our latest
: rainstorms, it runs for 75 seconds, stops for 15, then starts again. i'm nervous the power will go out or
: the pump (1/4 horse) will quit from overuse.

: why would there be so much water this year when it's never been this bad before? we've had a sump
: for 15 years here. when they built this house, they put it one cinder block lower in the ground than the
: other raised ranches around it. i seem to be the only house with water, and only 1 of a few that
: even have a sump pump.

: can i hire a company to dig a hole or ditch lower than my basement that will attract the water away
: from me and direct it to the back yard (50 feet) to a small creek?

: any comments/suggestions?

I also have a French Drain and Sump pump in my finished raised ranch basement. I was also concerned about power outage. I purchased a back up battery for the system. It switches over automatically and will run for 6 hours of pumping time (at 75 seconds a pop that is a long time. ALso the french drain will hold alot of water before backing into the house.
I also purchased a sump pump rider on my homeowners policy (about $ 35 per year) for property damage in the event that the sump fails I am covered for upto $5000 in damage.
Good Luck

Replies to this post
There are none.