Re: How much h2o pressure is too high?
Posted by V K McVey on May 05, 19100 at 18:17:42:
In response to Re: How much h2o pressure is too high?
Thanks. I agree that if they can't/won't reduce the pressure going to me that I'll need a pressure reducer on it. But shouldn't they pay for that?

: The city utility has to supply enough pressure to give all users a proper supply of water. In so doing, they will give some users excess pressure so that the furthest houses are properly served. 75 psi is about "normal", but 50 to 90 are acceptable. Above that a pressure reducing valve is suggested.

: : Hi. In my house, I seem to have way too much water pressure. This has been going on for several years, and at first I had water-sprinkler problems with sprinkler heads popping off, and then lately, the main flow control valve. Inside, the shower, if set at a quarter-turn on the valve, will blow the hair off your legs. I spoke to the city utility department, and they said that "70 - 90" lbs was normal. After alot of encouragement, they did a measurement for me and now tell me "it's a little high at 106 lbs." And for me to go buy a pressure reducer.

: : Isn't the city utility department required under some sort of specifications to provide a min. and max. pressure? What if they said, "we'll give everyone 3,000 lbs, but it's just a little bit high?" Before I go out and buy and install a pressure reducer, does anyone know what "normal" usually is and how I could go about finding city "code" or "specs" on this?

: : Thanks

Replies to this post