Re: 53 1/2 inch bath tub
Posted by Weogo Reed on April 28, 19100 at 21:24:56:
In response to Re: 53 1/2 inch bath tub
Hi again Tank,

: Thanks for answering my post about the 53 1/2 inch bath tub. You are correct in suggesting that my cracked tub might, in fact, be a 54 inch tub that measures slightly short. I found out that the original size of this tub was listed as 54 X 40, so the UR tub you suggested sounds fine. Coincidently, Universal Rundle is manufactured right here in my home town in Iowa, but the factory does not sell retail. I think the "Lawton", though narrower than my present tub, would work nicely, but I have not found a local retailer with a UR catalog. Where did you buy your tub? If you have any installation tips that might save me a headache, I would be happy to accept them.

: Thanks again for the help. This is the first time I have posted a message on a non-computer related message board and I am very pleased that you were here to help me.

I'm in South Carolina and, with freight and tax, I think my tub came to about $175.
This was buying it from a local plumbing supplier and picking it up on their dock.

Probably most plumbing houses in your area will carry UR,
only a few do around here.
UR was bought by some other company and maybe because of that it took about three weeks to get my tub.

54" is no longer a real common size tub, but when searching I found several manufacturers making them.

Make sure you get the drain on the correct side!

Note that tubs come in different widths.
Make sure what you get will fit!

The Lawton dimensions are available as a web page or
you can download a .pdf file:
http://www.universal-rundle.com/units/6254/

The surround I am using is a universal fit plastic model.
It only goes 55" high so I got some plastic from a buddy of mine who has a plastic shop to add about a foot and a half to it.
Eventually I will tile the walls.

I think UR does make a matching surround, maybe another $150 or so?

Make sure you level the tub.
The bottom of this tub sits about 7/8" off the floor.
It is best to put spacer blocks between the bottom of the tub and floor to support the tub.
Your floor might not be level, so place the tub where it goes, level it and then mark the rim height on the wall.
Then remove the tub, placed pieces of crumpled aluminum foil under the floor in a few spots and gently lower the tub back in place.
Carefully remove the tub.
The foil is squashed to the right height for your shims.
Cut your shims, stick them in place with a bit of adhesive.
If you make the shims a quarter inch thin, you can cover them with a piece of 1/4" plywood to help spread the load.

Last, stuff the tub-to-wall cavities with fiberglass insulation and your tub will stay warm much longer.

There are more mobile homes per capita in South Carolina than any other state :-(
When I have to work on them, I replace as much of
the MH specific stuff as possible with regular plumbing parts.

Glad to be of help.
Have fun!

Good health, Weogo

Replies to this post