Re: Leaky Shower
Posted by Terry Love on March 18, 19100 at 14:05:44:
In response to Re: Leaky Shower

: Hi,
: I have a framed in shower in my 3 piece bathroom off of the master bedroom. Over time i noticed moisture gathering under the vinyl flooring. I tore out and replaced the vinyl floor, subfloor and wall tiles in the shower. After inspecting the tiled shower floor I determined that there were no cracks and with a little silicone it should be water tight. After several days of fairly steady use, a drip from the ceiling on the floor below developed. My leak was back! There is no visable sign of cracks or leaks in the shower. Now I suspect that it may be the trap leaking.
: What I need advice on is, am I more likely to find the leak by ripping up the shower floor or by opening up the lower floor ceiling? Will I be able to access the trap from the shower floor? Is it possible that the floor could leak through the grouting even if there were no visable cracks?
: Oh, please help!
Sounds like a leaking shower pan. If this is a mud set tile pan, the water catch-all is really the vinyl liner. One way to test, is to plug off the rain, and fill the pan with water from a bucket, and let set. If it leaks, you "can" try caulking, "or" you may need to go farther and install a new pan. Terry

Replies to this post
There are none.