backed up sink please help
Posted by Alex(andra) on February 29, 19100 at 22:08:58:
First off what I know about plumbing could fit on the head of a pin. I'm 23 and I was raised by my grandparents. They are both now
deceased, I currently live in the house I grew up in with my uncle(their son) we are preparing the house to be sold in a couple months, I will then be getting my own apt.
Anyhow he is on a trip overseas right now so I have had the house to myself for the past 6wks.
We have a sink upstairs(kitchen) and one in the basement. The upstarirs sink has two sides, both with drains, one of which(the one on the right) also has the garbage disposal.
I noticed that when putting stuff down the disposal-no matter what the amount(even small items or small amounts) the water tended to fill up the drain/disposal and not drain very quickly.But I didnt' think too much of it. Our basement drain/sink does tend to get
backeed up sometimes and I even went down a few times to make sure it was draining properly. Well I was doing the dishes after lunch and I went to get the mail. I keep the basement door closed and it is quite thick. But when I opeend it(to go out the back door to the garage) I heard the sound of water dripping. I went down stairs and the leftover water(with soaps suds etc) from the dishes had dripped to the floor. There was not too much on the floor(yet) but the sink in the basement was filled with water, nasty, gross, icky looking water that I do not want to touch. I don't know if I should get it out of the sink(and if so how, do I just use a bucket or what??) but then I don't know anything about the plumbing system, so far no other drains are affected, but i'm hestitant to just dump that water in another drain and cause a bigger problem. I don't think we have a snake(course I also don't know what it looks like) and I know for a fact that we have no drain cleaner in the house. I hate to call a plumber(esp since I have barely any money and this would have to come out of my work money and I have bills to pay) but i'm also hesitant to even use any water in the house at all, for fear of making it worse(taking a shower, using the bathroom etc... which are things I need to do) So any ideas??
Thanks

Replies to this post