Re: Mud-set tile vs. cultered marble vs. cast iron
Posted by Moore on December 06, 1999 at 23:29:53:
In response to Re: Mud-set tile vs. cultered marble vs. cast iron
Your weight did not crack that fiberglass. The void of air under the fiberglass allowed it to flex everytime ANYBODY used that shower pan. The issue is that you want a shower pan that is installed flat against a hard surface that has no voids, so that it won't flex. You just be your own self, and deal with a pan that is well installed. Ask a LICENSED plumber to make an estimate for a new shower floor. Mud set tile is able to be only as strong as the ceramic surface of each tile surface, then the grout comes into play as a potential flex spot. Mud set or quick set mud is usually only one half inch to an inch thick, but the mud that is used is high strength with little sand and formulated to not allow air voids in it. The air voids are what will allow flex when weight is applied unevenly (like the weight of a foot, as opposed to the weight of a foot suspended across large tile squares. Small size tile squares of 2 by 2 inches seem to fare better than 4 by 4 squares and of course make sure the tiles are floor tiles and not wall tiles. Cultured Marble is sold generally in larger surface areas than ceramic tile squares, but even so, they require installation against a flat surface that is free of air voids. Cast iron is more forgiving when the subject of air voids comes into play, because it is metal as opposed to ceramic, and not as brittle, As a metal it can support more weight across longer spans, and the reciprocal is also true, it can take small areas of larger weight (like a heel of a foot) and span it across larger areas of air void below it.

Slippery? the larger the smooth surface mixed with soap and water, the more slippery. Smaller 2 by 2 tiles are less slippery than 4 by 4 which is less slippery than cultured marble which is somewhat more slippery than cast iron, but you can always apply the small non-skid applique material to overcome slippery.

Cost of installation? Preparation for mud set is a three step process then the tile, then the grout, then the sealer. Same for cultured tile. Preparation for cast iron is only one step. The issue here is the 47 by 33 space to work in as an odd size rather than an off the shelf manufactured piece.

Bottom line here is that you want a SAFE surface that is going to be ACCIDENT FREE. Call three LICENSED plumbers get three written estimates, work with the most responsible contractor, not necessarily the cheapest.

Good luck , and have a Happy and Blessed Holiday

: : My husband and I need to replace an existing shower pan that measures 47" x 33", which we have discovered is an odd size. I am a very large woman and know that the existing fiberglass shower pan has cracked due to the stress of my weight on it. Of the three choices listed (mud-set tile, cultured marble or cast iron), which would be the strongest? Would one be more slippery than the other? How do they differ in cost on materials and installation? Also, do you recommend any special installation techniques to make it stronger

: : Thanks!

: Linda, mud and concrete mixed at the right thickness should do you just fine. marble would be slippery, and I never heard of a cast iron shower pan.With mud and tile you can choose any color you want.Dale Peck LMP

Replies to this post
There are none.