Re: Plumber Chiseled Concrete Slab ???
Posted by Terry Love on December 06, 1999 at 22:01:24:
In response to Re: Plumber Chiseled Concrete Slab ???

: My wife had a plumber come out to snake out a "clean out" that runs from our washing machine room through a bathroom and when the washer would empty out it would flood out of the shower stall and toilet in the bathroom.

: Problem was that the plumber apparently could not the the "clean out" bolt out of the wall and so he cut the old one off. He apparently had a hard time getting the new one on as the bolt is very close to the floor (concrete slab). Here is what I am freaking out about!!! The plumber chiseled out about a 1/2 inch notch in the concrete slab below the bolt to make it easier to get around it with a wrench if it needs to be removed again I suppose. It apparently went on without doing this before but probably was a pain to put it on. From what I understand, one should NEVER chisel directly on a concrete slab. Should I fill it and if so with what? Can this damage the integrity of the floor? Or is th is normal and should I leave it. I don't want it to erode in any way. This floor does get some moisture intrusion as this concrete slab sits directly on dirt and it sits on a hill! Is this something to worry about? Is this normal for a plumber to do this?

Michael,
Almost no service repairs are normal. Most plumbers will try to cause the least amount of damage to the home. Without seeing your home, but knowing how other plumbers think, I would guess that it was a frustration for him also. Many plumbers would have encountered a problem like yours and begged off. The chiseling of the concrete over the long haul, will have little affect. At least he was able to achieve the goal of snaking the drains and the next person to use the cleanout will have a much easier time of it. Terry

Replies to this post
There are none.