Re: PUMP RUNS BUT DOESN'T BUILD PRESSURE
Posted by Moore on November 07, 1999 at 21:44:07:
In response to Re: PUMP RUNS BUT DOESN'T BUILD PRESSURE
Jacuzzi is a good pump manufacturer. It sounds like the vanes inside the pump housing are worn. The Jacuzzi pump consists of a motor and a shaft leaving the motor that enters a pump. Sometimes the shaft that connects to the pump vanes inside the pump housing lets the "woodruff key" wobble in the vanes of other manufacturers pumps, but not the Jacuzzi. Your water may have had sand in it coming from the well, and that grit builds up & rests in the vane housing area, allowing the vanes to be sanded down to a tolerance that is too large to push the water. Therefore water isn't pushed into the tank, which won't allow the air inside the tank to be compressed, and then that won't allow the air pressure regulator to sense the adequate pressure to send a signal back to the Jacuzzi to shut off. When you drained the water and replaced the plug, and restarted the pump, you should have heard lots of water rushing into (being pumped) into the tank. If you didn't hear that then it indicates that the pump vanes aren't pushing water. You can repair the vanes by opening the housing, loosening a set screw in the impeller shaft, and pulling the vanes off the motor shaft, then going to Jacuzzi (or a pump repair place near you) and getting vanes and gaskets.
If that doesn't work, e-mail me, and we'll proceed to the next step I guess I should say to check that the motor shaft is actually turning as it leaves the motor and enters the pump, but the shaft is probably not exposed enough for you to see that.

: I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY WATER SYSTEM.IT IS A JACUZZI
: PUMP,THAT FEEDS AN OLD GALVANIZED TANK. THE PUMP RUNS
: CONTINUOUSLY AND NEVER BUILDS ANY PRESSURE WHATSOEVER.
: I TURNED OFF THE POWER, OPENED THE PLUG 1/2 WAY UP THE
: TANK,THEN TURNED ON THE FAUCET LOCATED AT THE BOTTOM OF
: THE TANK. WHEN IT NEARLY STOPPED DRAINING I TURNED OFF
: THE FAUCET AND REPLACED THE PLUG. NEXT I TURNED ON
: THE PUMP BACK ON .PROBLEM IS THAT IT NEVER BUILDS ANY
: PRESSURE. I WAS WONDERING IF THE PRESSURE SWITCH COULD
: BE BAD? OR IF I JUST HAVE A AIR LEAK SOMEWHERE.IF THE
: AIR LEAK IS BETWEEN THE PUMP AND THE TANK WOULDN'T I
: HAVE WATER LEAKING THERE? I DON'T SEE ANY LEAKS NOR DO
: I HEAR ANY AIR LEAKAGE. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE
: YOU MAY HAVE. I ALSO TRIED TO INJECT AIR INTO THE TANK
: WITH AN AIR COMPRESSOR, AFTER DRAINING HALF THE WATER