Re: Cutting 1"gas line?
Posted by Dale's Plumbing Service on October 10, 1999 at 02:06:03:
In response to Re: Cutting 1"gas line?
: : Please advise me in cutting my main gas line. Can I use a sawzal and not blow up? There arent any unions and the main shut-off valve leaks. I plan on cutting the pipe and replacing leaking valve. I can shut off gas on the outside meter. Thanks Eric
: Eric:--A qualified Gas Fitter has got the needed tools and experience to do this job correctly and without making the 6 O'clock news. Some things are just not worth messing with, especially when you consider the possibilities.
: Cutting the line with a sawzall will allow the cuttings to enter the pipe and possibly cause problems. If you must do this yourself....shut the gas off at the main....replace the defective valve with an AGA certified ball valve...cut and thread the pipe with great care...install a union,
: but it cannot be concealed or inside a wall (some codes require the nut on the union to be center punched or tapped and screwed to prevent loosening).
: Lots of luck.......Bud.

Eric, Budski is right. But Tell me,is the leak at the handle itself? and not on the threads? If it is on the handle it may only be a packing nut on the back side of the gas cock that may have to be turned about a 1/4 turn or less. Then soap it up and recheck it for leaks. Call a licenced master plumber to help on this one if you have to cut it out. be safe not sorry. Dale Peck LMP

Replies to this post
There are none.