Re: Is this builder's fault
Posted by hj on September 21, 1999 at 23:43:43:
In response to Re: Is this builder's fault
You may never have a sewer backup problem, but many cities require that valve when the basement is at a certain level relative to the city sewer. They do not want the homeowner complaining to the city about home damage if a sewer backs up, which can happen at any time not just during a storm. It is a normal situation, but also be advised that the valve has a 50/50 chance of not stopping the backup if something, such as paper, popsicle sticks, etc. lodges in the valve during its normal operation. In most cases this is about as permanent as you can get once the house is built.

: My home is getting built. When I purchased the lot the sales person didn't say anything about sewer
: backup problem. When they constructed my basement they left a big hole( 10" X 9" ). If I look carefully
: I found there is a plastic box and in the middle I can see the portion of the sewer pipe. My construction
: manager told that its a valve to protect your basement in case of sewer backup. In that locality
: none of other houses have this problem. Does this mean builder purposely didn't disclose it ?
: Is it possible that I will be allowed not to close the house ? I am buying house for the first time. So I
: don't want to be upset by sewer problem.

: If I have to take this house is there any permanent solution. Some body please post.

Replies to this post
There are none.