Re: Hot water heater problems
Posted by Dale's plumbing Service on September 19, 1999 at 20:25:34:
In response to Re: Hot water heater problems
: Have a Reliance 501 52 gallon hot water heater

: It used to supply enough hot water for at least three people to shower. Just recently it started running out of hot water before one person had showered.

: It has two heating elements so I am guessing that one of them has gone bad.

: Question 1
: The heater was installed less than a year ago by the previous owner. So I don't don't have a reciept and don't know where it was purchased. Is there any possibility I might still be able to get this covered under warranty ?

: Question 2
: What do you think is wrong ?

: Question 3
: I am willing to tackle this project on my own but have never taken a water heater apart before. Are there any good instructions on the web somewhere ?

: Cheers,
: Richard.

Richard, There is a serial # on the heater. call a dealer for your heater and read it off to him. he can tell you if it is under warrenty.Question 2..Call a licenced master plumber and have him take a reading on each element. The ohms reading will tell you if one is burned out. You may have a bad dip tube.also do you have any undeground plumbing? you could have a leak undergroud. Question # 3.. If you haven't done this before please do not try and tackel it your self. one crossed wire and your heater is a potential bomb. I strongly sugest you pay a few dollors and call a licenced plumber and if it is replaced have the work inspected if there is an inspector in your area. Hope this Helps.

Replies to this post