Re: Shower arm snapped off inside fittng
Posted by hj on August 07, 1999 at 15:13:27:
In response to Re: Shower arm snapped off inside fittng
The metal left in the elbow is thinner than a normal pipe, so a standard easy out will contact the back of the elbow before it will grab the metal. Applying force will just create a hole in the back of the elbow. The swivel extractors from Sears need more metal than you have available to create the proper force. You need a 1/2" pipe expansion extractor which has three movable jaws and a 9/16 hex to expand them. Center the jaws on the broken pipe, screw the bolt in to expand the jaws slightly and turn it counterclockwise. If it slips tighten it slightly and try again. When you reach the proper tightness, it will come out.

: Recently I was attempting to remove the shower head from my sons bathroom. After applying some torque the pipe snapped at the head. So I went to the hardware store to obtain a replacement shower arm. Now I thought I was all set and all I had to do was unscrew the old shower arm and replace it with the new one. Well to make a long story short, when I tried to remove the old one it snapped leaving approximately a 1/4 piece of thread pipe inside the fitting!
: My question is how in the heck do I get the 1/4 piece of threaded pipe out of the fitting so I can replace the shower arm? I would truly appreciate any advice you can provide. Thank you,Bryan

Replies to this post
There are none.