Re: "Vikrell " Tub and wall products
Posted by Terry Love on June 03, 1999 at 01:59:08:
In response to Re: "Vikrell " Tub and wall products

: We are in the process of removing our original installed 1950's-era built-in iron tub. We wanted to put in a gorgeous new bath bay, but because of sizing of doors in house, could not.

: We were shown an alternative product (this one happens to be put out by Sterling--A Kohler subsidiary I think) made of "Vikrell." (some kind of composite plastic or fiber I guess). It consists of the tub and three-locking plates, that form a bay-type tub.

: 1. Is anyone familiar with this product/durability.

: 2. Can this be mounted directly onto the studs (I was given three different answers from three different salesmen) It does appear tight and sturdy enough.

These are good products. I have installed a "few" of them. The tub is installed first, and then the walls "snap" in. They are designed to be installed next to the wood studs. However, in a fire wall situation, you could have a layer of two of 5/8" behind for a fire stop. Keep in mind that the unit needs 60" in the clear. Drywall is installed over the nailing flange, much like the fiberglass enclosures.
Terry

Replies to this post
There are none.