Single handle tub/shower handle/diverter replacement.
Posted by PBM on May 15, 1998 at 10:56:36:
My husband & I just bought a 15-year-old house. The tub has a single handle tub/shower with the
diverter directly below the handle. The tub handle was grimy and I wanted to replace it. Simple, right?
Wrong. When we removed the little plastic cap, the handle screw was stripped. So we cut the main
water supply off and removed the whole assembly. I do not know the proper terminology for all the
parts so I hope you understand what I am about to ask. We replaced the ball, the cam/packing and the
knob. When we lined up the cam/packing with the notch in the pipe, the handle was no longer
vertically positioned. It worked fine (hot, cold, no leaks, etc.), you just have to move the knob from left
to right to turn off, up for hot and down for cold. So first of all, I would like to know if we somehow
inadvertently repositioned the actual pipe that the water supply comes through (the one with 3 openings).

Secondly, when we tried to push the diverter in, water came of the shower head, but water also came
out of the hole on the faceplate that the diverter comes through. We thought about replacing the
diverter but it seemed pretty complex.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paula Morrison

Replies to this post
There are none.