Re: Shower Valve installation... HELP
Posted by Dale's plumbing service on April 19, 1999 at 19:05:52:
In response to Re: Shower Valve installation... HELP
: Just taught myself how to sweat pipe this weekend while I was installing my shower. After I had everything hooked up (with a cap on the shower arm) I turned the water on to test for leaks. To my amazement, all my sweated connections held but two (hot & cold) of the four threaded connections into the shower valve were leaking. I did use pipe thread sealing compound designed for water & steam pipes. I've done this twice now, the first time I'm pretty sure I got the shower valve connection too hot and bubbled the thread compound out. The second time I threaded the shower valve body onto the hot side after it had plenty of time to cool and for the cold side I built enough of the pipe so that I could solder the last connection about a foot away from the valve. I'm gonna try teflon pipe tape tonite. I there some "trick" to this that I'm missing. Its strange that the connections to the tub and shower did NOT leak with either attempt using the same compound.

Adam, when ever you are putting a male x copper adapter fitting into a valve body or whatever you need to solder it first and let it cool. as a beginner you can get the pipe to hot and so it just takes practice,practice,practice. dale

Replies to this post
There are none.