Re: foul water odor
Posted by Ward on January 30, 1999 at 15:00:39:
In response to Re: foul water odor
: Ralph,
I had the same problem, got the same explanations and suggestions
as I see before me but you might try what I did.
I drained the hot water tank, took four gallons of vinegar
and poured into the tank when I left for a week. I then flushed
the water/vinegar through the pipes by running water. That was
four years ago and I don't have the problem back yet.
The hot water heater (before I flushed it) would continue to
heat until the water was extremely hot even after I reduced the
thermostat settings. This seems to have fixed the problem, though
I do turn off the heater when I am gone for more than a few months.
It worked for me and seems to have regenerated my heater.
: : Ralph:--Is the water smelly as delivered from the well or only after it arrives from the water heater?
: : If it is the latter , the odor is that of Hydrogen Sulphide gas that is generated from the anode rod inside the water heater. As the anode is consumed in trying to protect the tanks innards, it gives off Hydrogen and Oxygen. It is this Hydrogen that couples to any free atoms present in the water to form the "rotten egg" odor
: : of Hydrogen Sulphide Gas. Removing the anode will void your warranty on your water heater, but will probably get rid of the odor problem.
: : Lots of luck........Bud

:
: : I have a smelly water problem in a second home with a submersible pump and electric water heater which is kept on even during periods we are not using the house. I have a plastic filter element between the pump and heater which I periodically remove (after draining the heater) and run clorox through the system. This usually eliminates the sulphur odor for a few months. A plumber advised me to drop clorox (did he say chlorine?) pellets such as used in swimming pools into the well. Does this sound right? While we don't usually drink the water we do bathe, brush and wash dishes in it. I'd much prefer this method if safe as draining, flushing, refilling and getting the water system back in shape is a tedious process. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Replies to this post
There are none.