Re: Replacing "Standard" Cast Iron Tub With Shower Base (Receptor)
Posted by Paige McIntyre on May 14, 2002 at 18:12:51:
In response to Re: Replacing "Standard" Cast Iron Tub With Shower Base (Receptor)
: : : :
: : : : I am replacing a "standard" 30x60 cast iron tub and want to buy a new shower base (receptor), and it can't be some cheap fiber glass. I will only accept cast iron, steel, or cultured marble, or Swanstone.
: : : : I have located only 1 base that is this size (Swanstone), however, it is barrier free and has the drain in the wrong position.

: : : : A "standard" drain is about 14" from the wall, not 15". I have gone and measured the drains on new cast iron bath tubs and sure enough they are 14" too.

: : : : Where can I find a manufacturer wise enough to make a shower base that will retrofit the millions of cast iron bath tubs.

: : : : Unless you can help me it is looking like I will have to build my own shower base out of ceramic tile. I can't move the drain since it is set in concrete.

: : : Phil, There is no such word as can't. You can do it or hire it done. I do it all the time. You may just have to work a little harder than you thought but it will be worth it. It shouldn't take more than 4 hrs to move this drain. Dale Peck LMP

: : Right on!
: : Nothings impossible, I always say. Some things just take more time and money. Sometimes it less money to just bite the bullet and go for it.
: : I have seen a shower pan that replaces a tub, but even with these, you would need to break concrete. Terry
: : I am also looking for a cast iron shower base. Has anyone seen one? Somewhat flexible about size and drain placement. Thanks.

I was browsing through Terry's site when I came across your email question. I do have another option for you, although looking at the date of your first email, it is probably too late to consider. Check out www.laurelmarble.com. This is my company and we manufacture a high end shower base unit that seems to be exactly what you are used to. We offer a 60 x 30 tub replacement base with the drain located 13 7/8" off the back wall and 7 5/8" off the side wall. The base is made from cultured marble with a recessed area in the bottom of the base in which we install ceramic tile. It provides you the look of tile without the potential for leaking down the road. We also use epoxy grout which is mold and mildew resistent. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Replies to this post
There are none.