Re: Cause of in-house low pressure
Posted by hj on December 05, 1998 at 10:03:21:
In response to Re: Cause of in-house low pressure
A faulty pressure valve will allow the static pressure to rise to the city pressure and then drop to a minimum once the overage is bled off. The cap on a buried PRV can corrode and relieve the pressure on the adjusting spring and reduce the setting to zero. But if the piping is badly corroded, the same effect can occur.

alve on all lines in the home and found none. The static pressure at closest and furthest outlet to the incoming line from the street are 145psi with a residual of 10psi with one outlet open (irregardless of outlet proximity. I have cleaned all strainers and have had the utility company check the meter and street side of the line. They have advised me that sometimes the reducing valves on older homes in the area were buried just on the house side after the meter and that the reducing valve is clogged or jambed and is chocking the normal flow pressure. I find it hard to believe that it could still have a static of 145psi at the house outlets if a reducing valve is actually on the incoming line. There is a standard shutoff (like on an external spicket)that is buried and could be faulty. Where should I start looking for the problem and what is the lowest acceptable flow pressure for a residence?

Replies to this post