Re: Bathtub refinishing vs. Bathtub liners
Posted by Doug on October 17, 2001 at 21:10:11:
In response to Re: Bathtub refinishing vs. Bathtub liners
I tried refinishing... cheaper - yes at $400 (Canadian Cdn dollars)... but the guy has come back 4 times to touch up areas in the tub where the refinishing did not take. Now the tub is a real mess with sections of the refinishing peeling back. The guy said they have a 10 written warranty. Well I don't want to be doing this for the next 10 years. They do not give you your money back either. It seems the trick is preparation of the tub before refinishing. But again this is their responsibility - not mine. Ask the guy how long they have been in business for. Ask for older customer references.

We are now looking at a bathtub liner (est. $1200 Cdn) vs tub replacement whereby they will remove the old tub, wall and toilet and replace with new tub, new wall, new toilet, new taps and pipes and take the old one away for $2650 Cdn (est). Work can be done in 2 days.

A liner will last 5 to 7 years - but you may have trouble with fitting and leaks. A new tub will last 25 years.

Good luck!

: You are not alone! It can be very frustrating to have to decide between a liner and refinishing. Let me tell you this: The disadvantage to liners is that you need to take into consideration the age and size of your tub. Also, the shape of the area around the tub. Not always is there a liner to fit your needs and if not, you may have to special order which could cost alot of money. Plus, you may have to make modifications to the area and during these modifications you may encounter additional problems: I strongly recommend refinishing!!! Refinishing is the most cost-effective alternative to replacing the unit entirely. It's a one day mobile service that leaves your unit looking brand new and ready to use in as little as 24 hours****** Joylynn*** NM BATHTUB & SINK RESURFACING*****I am in the position of either refinishing my bathtub or installing a bathtub liner, We have heard contraversy about both options and we are confused. We cannot replace the tub we have because we have a marble insert on the walls surrounding out bathtub and I don't want to destroy it. We are stuck with refinishing our bathtub or going with a liner. Can you give us your honest and professional opinion? Thanking you in advance.

Replies to this post
There are none.