Sewer gases inside and outside the house
Posted by Glenn Rutledge on November 23, 1998 at 12:24:41:
I have a problem that I hope someone can help. Two problems really:
1) if wind conditions are right (I live on the side of a mtn. I can smell sewer gases coming from the roof. Is there anything I can do about this? Can I install a longer pipe with the hopes that the winds will disperse it better?

2) The second problem is sewer gases inside the house. This is a new (250K) house, with a septic field, and in the basement I can smell sewer gases. Another problem was that when laundry was done on the main level several loads at least)suds would appear in the toilet directly below the washing machine. It would also overflow sometimes. My contractor "fixed" the problem by putting in a pressure type toilet.

I still smell gases and it even got so bad that the air-handler pushed it all through the house. I just flushed the drain in the furnance room since it was the only P-trap that was not ever used. Also, all thropught eh house after the dry wlls when up, they installed small air intake vents on many of the fixtures and placed grates over them. They said itr was for easier acces to the plumbing. I'm now skeptable since I'm having problems.

Replies to this post
There are none.