Re: Hot Water Heater Smell
Posted by Terry Love on May 19, 2001 at 14:50:31:
In response to Re: Hot Water Heater Smell
: I have a two year old water heater. Over the past year or so on different occassions my hot water has had a bad sulfer smell coming from it. I was told my my local water company to drain my hot water tank and that should assist with the odor. Apparently my water softner (Potassium chlorate not sodium chlorate)was removing the chlorine from the water which was causing this odor in my hot water. I did as I was told however the odor is back again. I did once again drain my tank for about 25 minutes and I even flushed my softner and replace the potassium. The smell still exists and is stronger than ever. Any suggestions?

"Why does my water smell like rotten eggs?

The combined presence of hydrogen, sulfur, and bacteria cause foul smelling water. The magnesium anode rod installed in the tank protects the tank surface but generates enough hydrogen to create an odor when it interacts with sulfur in the water or bacteria in the tank. Replacing the magnesium anode rod with an aluminum anode may minimize the problem. The most efficient method of eliminating the hydrogen sulfide odor is to control the bacteria. As a rule, chlorination of public water supplies kills the bacteria, but some private well systems may need to be purified by the use of chlorine injectors or ultraviolet light. This will destroy the bacteria."
Bradford White

Replies to this post
There are none.