Re: drum traps
Posted by hj on March 17, 19101 at 00:05:40:
In response to Re: drum traps
In Chicago, in the 40's, 50's and 60's, we installed hundreds of cast iron drum traps. That was the requirement in those days.

: : We are in the process of remodeling our bathroom. We removed a cast iron tub and tiled walls with a shower surround. When doing the tub, we replaced the piping from the tub down to the metal drain pipe. Our problem is the drain has been slow, but now it is really slow. Our house is a concrete slab and was built in the 50's. We have had a couple plumbers out and no one seems to be able to get more than 24 - 30 inches in the drain and they run into a "solid object".

: : Any ideas? Our sink and toilet are functioning fine. Also, what is a drum trap, what does it do and what does it look like?

: : Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, it is looking like we may have to tear up our recently replace flooring to replace the drain.

: : Jason Herington

: Jason, I'm a tile setter and not a plumber.

: The problem might be debris that was allowed to go down the drain during demolition/construction. And if that is the case, it may be possible for someone to drive an auger through from the opposite direction.

: A drum trap is an abortion. It is exactly as it sounds, usually made from lead. There is no feasible way to clean one out. I don't think that is your problem. I've only seen one of them in my thirty years of seeing weird things.

: John

Replies to this post
There are none.