Re: Lead Drum Trap - Leaking
Posted by hj on February 14, 19101 at 08:11:29:
In response to Re: Lead Drum Trap - Leaking
I am surprised he was even able to get the cover off the drum trap to rod it. He had to rod the drain to make it work and the leak is incidental. My response would have been the same as his. The drain was no usable when it was stopped up and if there was a weak spot in the pipe it might have started leaking regardless of how the drain was unplugged. Your homeowner's insurance may cover the cost of opening and repairing the floor and ceiling and then you would just have to pay to replace the pipe and your deductible.

: We live in a Victorian House built in 1889. The bath tub on the upper floor clogged up after Christmas. We called in a plumber who snaked the drain. He never said there might be problems or that he might puncture our old plumbing but... One week later we had water running through our kitchen cieling. After ripping out the ceiling we found a lead drum trap.

: The plumber refuses any responsibility for the leak and in fact will not even reimburse us for the original $74.00 charge to snake the drain.

: I want him to accept some liability. I think he should have at least warned us that he might puncture some plumbing in the wall.

: We've installed a temporary fix - plumbers putty in the nail sized hole and wrapped the trap in rubber and clamps. Not sure how long this will work but the alternative seems to be to replace all the lead pipe (estimates are running at about $1,200).

: I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Replies to this post
There are none.