Re: How to melt out horizontal cast iron lead-oakum joint
Posted by A. MacNeil on February 13, 19101 at 06:51:16:
In response to Re: How to melt out horizontal cast iron lead-oakum joint
There is not enough heat from this type of torch to worry about cracking or overheating cast iron. Iron, as you probably know, has a much higher melting point than the lead solder that was and is used.
I have a couple of concerns here... first, cast iron will crack if you tap it too hard with, say, a hammer or prying instrument. Be carefull and take pains not to hit the iron or pry too hard against it.
Secondly, depending on the mass or size of the iron structure... it may be very difficult to get enough heat on the lead to melt it as much as you want. The iron inside the fitting will have to heat substantually to allow the lead to seperate. The heat may dissipate quickly as the iron structure acts as a "radiator" carrying much of the heat away.
I just replaced a lead to iron toilet fitting in my house. See "REFITTING CAST IRON TOILET HUB". I had to "dig" the lead and oakum out from between the iron and lead(with brass sleeve), using a screw driver, a small crow bar and a wood chisle. Using a small grinder, I cut two slots on the inside of the lead/brass fitting. After digging out a mass of lead, I was finally able to remove the section I had cut with the grinder and the rest was easy.
Good luck... it was time consuming.

Replies to this post
There are none.