Re: Polybutylene system; acetal plastic or metal fillings (which are more prone to fail?)
Posted by hj on February 10, 19101 at 09:07:39:
In response to Re: Polybutylene system; acetal plastic or metal fillings (which are more prone to fail?)
The acetyl fittings can, and do, break, but the copper ones do not. Leaks are caused by acetyl fittings breaking and also due to cracks or splits in the pipe itself.

: The polybutylene system fittings in our Virginia home are almost 18 years old without ever leaking. Just wondering if the acetral plastic insert fittings are more prone to fail than the metal insert fittings. Also, do polybutlene systems fail at the fittings because of poor quality installation techniques by the plumber? Or do these systems usually fail by the pipes themselves splitting open? I know the eligibility periods and filing deadlines have long passed for my system. Several of my neighbors and I had all had our homes replumbed by the same plumber due to copper pipe pin hole problems within three years of each other. None of us have experienced leaking polybutlene systems to date. BTW, we are all on private well water systems. Thanks for any posts.

Replies to this post