Help! Need to replace leaky shutoff valve...
Posted by BIG BLUE on February 01, 19101 at 14:23:31:
Hello,

I am in the process of replacing a shutoff valve under the kitchen sink. The straight hard copper pipe comes thru the floor from the basement and under the sink. There is a shutoff valve there that is leaking. I have cut the pipe with cutter and tried to use a 1/2 inch compression type fitting valve but with no luck, it still leaks. I tried both hand tight then a 1/4 turn but no luck. Then I tried a new fitting with brass ferrel nut (bought 2 at store just in case) and tried to tighten with wrench as much as possible, again still leaking. I also used 120 grit sandpaper to clean the pipe and an end pipe cleaner to make sure of a clean pipe. Seems to me that maybe I'm not getting an exact "straight" fit and maybe the cause of the leak.

I am thinking of buying a sweat valve and putting that in place but not sure on how exactly to solder together using heat and flux. Please advise as to the best way to go about this as this is turning into more work than I want but the $100 quote for local plumbers to do it makes me ill!

Sorry for the book, figured the more detail the better,
BIG BLUE

Replies to this post