Thanks, more questions....
Posted by Lawrence on January 29, 19101 at 20:19:13:
In response to Thanks, more questions....

: Your county (or other municipality) is the final arbiter of what codes to use and how to interpret them. This means that if the local guy decides that you have to paint your piping green with red stripes to satisfy a code requirement, you gotta do it.
Okay, but how about if the county code doesn't mention hot water heater pan required under the hot water heater but the state code does and the county plumbing inspectors don't inforce the state code. Does that mean that plumbers who install replacement hotwater heaters don't have to mention to the homeowners the need for the pans? In other words, do the county plumbers not have to comply with the state codes?.

: Most local/county codes simply reference an existing published code, and makes exceptions as the local inspector sees fit. BOCA is a popular code to cite, and the locals may cite the State plumbing code (which may also reference BOCA).

: The National Plumbing Code is another that is often cited by local, state, and yes, by BOCA.

: Basically, it is always a matter of precedence, as follows from most governing to least:

: Municipal (city/county) -> State -> Reference codes (BOCA, NPC, etc).

: Hope I've reduced the confusion.

: : Could someone explain to me about plumbing codes. I understand that my county has County Plumbing Codes. They also use the BOCA plumbing code. Is that the state plumbing code? And my county has a provision that says whichever code gives the greatest protection to the public shall prevail and govern. Other counties in my state use other codes such as the National standard plumbing code illustrated. Is that a state plumbing code too? Do the counties select which state plumbing code they wish to use? Thanks in advance for clarifying the code system.

Replies to this post