Re: installing tile on aquaboard (green drywall)
Posted by Stephen on October 31, 19100 at 10:38:58:
In response to Re: installing tile on aquaboard (green drywall)
: Hi Steve,

: Do not, repeat do not use green sheetrock or any other type of sheetrock as a substrate for ceramic tile in a wet area such as a shower. Be aware that tiles and grout do not form a waterproof barrier. In fact, standard wall tiles act as sponges and draw moisture in. A good portion of our business is comprised of tearing out "sheetrock showers" and relpacing them with better installations.

: I recommend Hardi-backer in the 1/2 in. thickness, installed over green sheetrock. Use radius trims (mud cap, bullnose) at the edges of the backer board.

: If the sheetrock wall is already in place, install plastic sheeting and then the Hardi-backer.

: John

John, can I just install the hardi-backer in place of the sheetrock directly onto the studs? I haven't installed any type of wallboard yet and was wondering can i just screw the cement board directly to the studs and put the tiles on, or do I need to do something else after the cement board is installed? For example, do i need a moisture barrier between the wall studs and the backer board or anything else??

Stephen

Replies to this post