Re: Non working radiators
Posted by Joe Colburn on October 21, 19100 at 19:51:17:
In response to Re: Non working radiators
: I assume you mean this is a mono-flo type system. If so, the the tees off the main have scoops to divert a portion of the water to the loop and then bring it back at the return point. If you just installed tees to pipe the new loop, there is nothing to force the water through that loop so the water will flow which ever way is the easiest. In addition, since there is no way to increase the amount of water being diverted, there is probably not enough hot water to heat both the new loop and the old one.

: : I recently "T"d a monologue hot water system, with one thermostat underneath my home. The original feed T's off one Line feeds 3 downstairs radiators and returns through a T to the existing return from the upstairs before the circulator. The new line off the original feed line T's and feeds 4 radiators upstairs and returns T'd with the downstairs return before circulator.

: : Two radiators in the system are not getting hot water.
: : Downstairs its the second of the 3. when blead at the return side cold water comes out and eventually it gets hot, but the flow does not continue it returns to cold when the bleader is closed.
: : Upstairs it is the last of the four radiators that does not heat up.

Sounds to me like you have a mess on your hands and you will need to get a hydronic expert. As said by the other tech you probably have a mono-flo heating system. The very reason for mono-flo is to heat all the radiators evenly. If you tie radiators together in a series loop by the time the last radiator is hot the first room will over heat dramatically. Due to the large volume of water in each radiator mono-flo are used. In almost all causes there is only one radiator installed per set of tees. These tees are generally installed on the return side of the radiator and are directional. I use a tee on the supply and the return side for radiators below the main and for very long runs from the main to help increase the flow. You are going to need someone who is experieced with this type of system to check you entire heating system. You will probably need major repiping.
Good Luck Joe

Replies to this post
There are none.