LEAKING CONE WASHER SOLVED
Posted by Mark Lyons on September 23, 19100 at 02:56:22:
HELLO THERE, YOU HAVE A GREAT WEBSITE. I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO SHARE THIS WITH SOMEONE WHO CAN REALLY APPRECIATE IT, SO HERE GOES:

SEVERAL MONTHS AGO I SENT THE WIFE AND KID TO STAY AT THE IN-LAWS SO THAT I COULD REPLACE THE BATHROOM FLOOR
AS WELL AS RESET AN OLD TOILET WHICH IS STILL IN GREAT CONDITION. LAYING THE FLOOR WAS A SUCCESS AND I WASN'T TOO CONCERNED THAT I WAS GOING TO ENCOUNTER ANY PROBLEMS RE-INSTALLING THE TOILET AS I'VE DONE THIS AT LEAST A HALF DOZEN TIMES BEFORE. I PURCHASED ALL NEW HARDWARE, A NEW FLUSH KIT, FLAPPER VALVE, WAX RING, ETC. I SET THE BOWL IN PLACE WITH NO PROBLEM. INSTALLED THE "GUTS" INSIDE THE TANK AND FINALLY MOUNTED THE TANK TO THE BOWL. IT WAS SATURDAY AND ABOUT MIDNIGHT AT THIS POINT AND I WAS TIRED. WITH THE TOILET ALL TOGETHER, I OPENED THE SUPPLY VALVE TO LET THE TANK FILL. WITHIN NO TIME AT ALL I COULD HEAR WATER TRICKLING, EXCEPT IT SOUNDED LIKE IT WAS OUTSIDE OF THE TANK. SURE ENOUGH, THERE WAS WATER LEAKING FROM AROUND THE FLUSH VALVE SHANK. I DIDN'T WANT TO TIGHTEN DOWN THE TWO TANK BOLTS ANY MORE THAN NECESSARY SO I CHOSE TO REMOVE THE TANK AND INVESTIGATE THE LOCK NUT ON THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK.
THIS TOO WAS PLENTY TIGHT. NOW I WAS BEGINNING TO PANIC. I ENDED UP DISASSEMBLING THIS CONNECTION AND REASSEMBLING IT CAREFULLY, THINKING THAT PERHAPS IT WAS NOT SEATED PROPERLY THE FIRST TIME. I REMOUNTED THE TANK AND CUT ON THE WATER. AGAIN, THE SAME LEAK. BY NOW IT WAS AROUND 4AM SUNDAY MORNING AND I HADN'T SLEPT. THERE WAS NO WAY I WAS GOING TO EVEN MAKE CHURCH. I REMOVED THE NEW FLUSH VALVE ASSEMBLY AND TOOK IT BACK TO THE STORE FOR ANOTHER. ONCE HOME I INSTALLED YET ANOTHER BRAND NEW FLUSH VALVE KIT AND ENCOUNTERED THE SAME MISERABLE LEAK FROM AROUND THE SHANK. BY NOW I HAD THE WHOLE TANK INSIDE OF MY BATH TUB STRADDLING A PLASTIC MILK CRATE. I FILLED THE TANK AND OBSERVED THIS LEAK. THEN IT DAWNED ON ME.
THE CONE WASHER ON THE INSIDE SIMPLY REFUSED TO CONFORM TO THE IMPERFECT HOLE THAT WAS CAST IN THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK. NO MATTER HOW HARD I TORQUED DOWN ON THAT BIG WHITE PLASTIC LOCK NUT, THE CONED SURFACE REFUSED TO CREATE A WATERTIGHT SEAL. WITH THIS I RECEIVED A GREAT REVELATION WHICH COULD HAVE ONLY COME FROM ABOVE. I TOOK THE CONE WASHER OFF OF THE FLUSH VALVE SHANK (SOME REFER TO THIS AS A SPUD)AND SLIPPED IT BACK ON EXCEPT THIS TIME WITH THE CONE POINTING UP. IN OTHER WORDS THE TAPERED PORTION WAS NOW IN CONTACT WITH THE FLANGED PORTION OF THE FLUSH VALVE. I REINSTALLED THE FLUSH VALVE IN THE TANK, REMOUNTED THE TANK, AND IT HASN'T LEAKED ONCE SINCE THEN.

Replies to this post