Re: 180 foot rise from well location to home - design help needed
Posted by dick on August 31, 19100 at 16:32:46:
In response to Re: 180 foot rise from well location to home - design help needed
: I am building a new home at my farm and it will be 180 feet above (and 2400 feet away from) the current well location. THis presents about 90 psi of additional water pressure to the 50 psi house needed pressure (140 psi total). I want to control the pump from the well location due to the long distance from the home.

: Will it be reliable to pipe this distance underground with 150 psi pressures on the pipe? Schedule 40 or something else?

: I was thinking of putting the pressure switch (and tank)at the house and run 14 gage (or lighter?) control wire to the well with a relay switch to switch the local power to the pump... Any better way?

: THanks for the guidance!

No problem with the pressure. I would run at least 1 1/4" pipe due to the distance. The problem might be the pressure capability of your pump. 180 feet adds 80 psi. and then figure another 10-15 psi for friction loses in the pipe, plus the pressure to get it up from the current water depth, plus your 50 psi house pressure. Your pump was probably sized for a house adjacent to the well. You may have to replace it with a deep well pump. There is no problem controlling it from the house with a remote relay.

Another possibility is to add a surface booster pump at the well. this would require two pressure tanks and more complex controls.

Replies to this post
There are none.